Opportunity, responsibility, and security: A consensus plan for reducing poverty and restoring the American Dream
Alleviating poverty. Fighting inequality. Expanding economic opportunity. These are hot topics on the campaign trail, but when it comes to implementing real change, efforts frequently stall in Congress. A bipartisan report on Opportunity, Responsibility, and Security, produced by the American Enterprise Institute/Brookings Institution Working Group on Poverty and Opportunity, details a consensus policy agenda for overcoming gridlock and achieving actionable solutions in 2016.
Spotlight, in partnership with the Ford Foundation, hosted a conversation with the report’s authors and a convening of leading experts — including John McWhorter of Columbia University, LaDonna Pavetti of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, and Tamar Jacoby of Opportunity America, ImmigrationWorks USA — who explored the report’s findings and considered how these issues will play out in the presidential campaign.
Other participants included:
- Lawrence Aber, New York University
- Sheldon Danziger, Russell Sage Foundation
- Robert Doar, American Enterprise Institute
- Indivar Dutta-Gupta, Georgetown Center on Poverty and Inequality
- Jonathan Haidt, New York University Stern School of Business
- Kay Hymowitz, Manhattan Institute for Policy Research
- Lawrence Mead, New York University
- Ron Mincy, Columbia University School of Social Work
- (Moderator) Juana Summers, Mashable